The Lobero Theatre hosts a number of arts educational opportunities throughout the year.
With an emphasis on giving children a professional performance experience,most of our programs include a partnership with another youth or arts-focused non-profit. Each organization brings their strengths to the partnership, making for more effective and efficient service delivery.
Participation in these programs gives children necessary tools for future success in all aspects of life: creativity and problem solving, confidence, greater focus and dedication, and the ability to collaborate with and learn from their peers. It also inspires children to continue pursuing the arts throughout their education, and in some cases throughout their careers.
The Lobero’s Youth Programs are made possible through the generosity of the following donors: Montecito Bank & Trust, Santa Barbara Bowl Outreach, the Lobero Theatre Associates, Elaine F. Stepanek Foundation, and Studio Encanto.
SBVJF’s residencies are funded in part by the Community Arts Grant program, using funds provided by the City of Santa Barbara in partnership with the Santa Barbara County Arts Commission. SBVJF receives generous support from the Towbes Fund for the Performing Arts (a field of interest fund of the Santa Barbara Foundation) and the Children’s Creative Project.
Students and their families have the opportunity to experience live performance at the Lobero Theatre free of charge. Performances include:
- It’s Magic!
- Nebula Dance
- Santa Barbara Vocal Jazz Foundation
- Santa Barbara Youth Ensemble Theatre
- Jazz at the Lobero series
Performing Arts Residencies
These are programs that teach the performing arts to local students and allow them to demonstrate their newly acquired skills:
- Santa Barbara Vocal Jazz (SBVJF) – During the school year the Lobero and SBVJF team up to provide hands-on jazz education and instruction to local schools. These students will have the chance to perform live on the Lobero stage, experiencing a professional, hands-on experience with state-of-the art light and sound technology. Please visit santabarbaravoaljazz.com for more information.
- Jensen’s Music Camp – A series of three week-long summer intensives designed to teach students to play an instrument of their choice. Each of the three sessions will culminate in a professional performance on the Lobero stage. This program will also include one work mentorship opportunity for a student, teaching stage management and technical skills. (In partnership with New Noise Music Festival.)
Youth Performance subsidies
The Lobero is the home stage for the culminating performances of a number of arts-specific educational programs, and we underwrite a portion of theatre expenses to ensure the success of these performances and encourage their continued growth at the Lobero. Youth groups making a home on the Lobero stage include Santa Barbara Youth Symphony, Santa Barbara Youth Ensemble Theatre, Gustafson Dance, Montecito Union/Cold Springs School Distric, Opera Santa Barbara’s Youth Opera, Teen Star DANCE, and AHA’s Sing Out! program
Touring Productions for the classroom
Every few years, the Lobero partners with BOXTALES Theatre Company to produce a brand-new production to be toured in schools throughout the state. This year’s project features Stand Up Stories! Multicultural Tales to Live By. Look for it on the Lobero stage and in local classrooms in fall 2017.